Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thrilling Thursday Everyone,
I’m off to do my civic duty. Yes, I’ve been called for Jury Duty. This is my 5th time being called and I’ve never sat on a case. I guess I don’t mind Jury Duty, as I’m relatively civic-minded, but I know people, who haven’t been called for Jury Duty ever. So while I’m trying to see this as a special “honor”, I’m not entirely feeling it. That said, I need to make a declaration before I go off to “serve” my country.
I love pasta.
I love that pasta has found its way into practically every culture. I don’t mean to say Italian pasta is being eaten worldwide, because, well, it isn’t. While Italian food is delicious (take a swig;-), I find it fascinating that cultures around the world have come up with their version of pasta all on their own. I’m fairly certain (based on my limited research) that pasta was invented in China, but that’s not to say the Italian didn’t “invent” pasta, as maybe did the Russians and the Hawaiians. Is it so hard to think that a great idea could be had by more than one person at a different point in time? Does it really matter who invented it first? Does it make their idea any less genuine or delicious? (Drink!) Not to me, it doesn’t.
Listed below is one of my all-time, most versatile noodle dishes. It happens to be Szechuan and it’s been a family favorite for a long time because it’s fast, healthy and adaptable. Lots of vegetables and good fats. Making a low-fat, protein choice will also help to make this dish even healthier without compromising on taste. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do. Mangia!

Szechuan Noodle Toss This is a great way to use up small amount of vegetables and leftover meat)

14.5 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti ( 1 lb regular spaghetti will also work. I like Ronzoni Smart Taste because it tastes like regular pasta, but has more fiber. This translates to more filling with less food;-)
Cook spaghetti according to package, al dente. When it’s done, drain then rinse with cold water and drain again. Toss in a serving bowl with 1 -2 Tablespoons of sesame oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.

4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
½ Cup sesame oil, divided
2 large, sweet red peppers, cut into thin strips
Cook red peppers, green onion and garlic in a large, heated skillet with 4 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Stir constantly for 4 minutes. Then add:
10 oz. of a spinach, swiss chard, kale, beet greens, etc. (You choose;-) You can even mix the greens.
Cook the greens in skillet until wilted, about 4 minutes. Then add:
1 cup of vegetable of your choice: carrots julienned, snap peas, mushroom, broccoli or a mixture of whatever you like or have available.
Continue to cook uncovered for approximately an additional 4 minutes. Turn heat off the skillet and add:
2 cups of cooked chicken, turkey, beef, pork, shrimp, scallops or tofu. Once again, it’s your choice;-)
8 oz of sliced water chestnuts
Stir well then add pasta back into the skillet and toss entire mixture to combine. Now mix together:
½ Cup soy sauce
4 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar or Rice Vinegar (or White vinegar if you don’t have either of the Rice Vinegars)
1 ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
2 Tablespoons of minced ginger (the ginger in the jar works great or fresh is best if you have the skill and time)
Adding all the remaining sesame oil, stir this “dressing” to fully incorporate all the ingredients. Then pour over the noodles and gently toss to coat.

Serves 4

Today’s “Pearl of Wisdom”: I use leftover cooked meat or buy a cooked rotisserie chicken form the deli to save time. This dish is delicious (another drink;-) hot, cold or room temperature. Seriously. I’ve eaten all three ways and loved it. My youngest boy loves this dish and actually requests periodically. It tastes that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stacy's Foodtopia Search Engine