Sunday, August 16, 2009

What is "Stacy's Foodtopia"?

Ciao,


Stacy's Foodtopia is a blog about the perfectness that is food. I'm writing because I have met and continue to meet so many self-proclaimed "foodies" of all ages, yet many are intimidated to cook at home. More importantly, they have become "co-dependent" on convenience foods. I say "co-dependent" because many of the so-called convenience foods really aren't "convenient" at all. Meals are such an important way to connect with people, with other cultures and, most importantly, with our families. Food is way to learn and way to teach...about science, sex, communication, religion, etc. Sports analogy/ metaphors are fine some of the time, but food analogy always work. Why? Because while I have met some people who are not sports enthusiast, I have never met anyone who doesn't eat.


I would love to see people cook more from scratch. I know it can be more time consuming, but it is usually more economical and healthier. Let me qualify that by stating that I'm not health nut! I love to eat all different kinds of foods. I'm an adventurous eater who is always in pursuit of the perfect bite. The good news is healthy food can taste good and Junk food can be healthy. The key is moderation. I'm Italian, so I hate the word moderation, but it really is the key to eating what tastes good and eating well.


Today, my family and I ate extremely well. We ate from our garden. All of us, including my teenage sons, husband and my father and mother. Three generation, sharing the fruits of my labors from seedling to plate. I lovingly share my recipes and hope you will ask questions of all kinds whenever they arise.


We, as a society, worry more about the clothes we wear on our backs and nary a thought is given to the food and beverages we consume. My food and recipes are my art and I hope they inspire you to question how you cook, what you eat and where your food comes from. Mangia!

Fettucine with Bacon and Garden Vegetables (or What's not good with Bacon?!)
If you can read, you can make this. Just recall the cutting skills you acquired in Kindergarten and go to it! And it can be made in 30 minutes. This recipe is very flexible and you can substitute pretty much any vegetables you like. You can also substitute the bacon with leftover chicken, beef or pork. I would even do tofu, cannellini beans or paneer. If using a protein other than bacon, just replace the missing bacon fat with olive oil. Truthfully, the bacon is just de-lish;-)
Serves 6-8 people
1 lb of fettucine, cooked al dente (8 minutes)
8 slice of bacon, cooked, chopped and fat reserved (about 2 Tablespoons)
4 green onions, sliced (on the bias looks great)
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, pressed (or minced)
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
10 oz. of fresh swiss chard, spinach or beet tops
2 Cups of fresh corn kernels (frozen is fine also)
1 pint of grape tomatoes (or 3 large tomatoes)
1/4 Cup of fresh basil, chopped
1/2 Cup of fresh Italian, flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 Cup of shaved Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
1teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

While pasta is cooking in salted water, cook bacon in pan, either chopped or whole. (I cook the bacon whole and then chop it after it's cooked, but I know a lot of people who prefer to chop it first before they render the fat.)When bacon is crispy, remove it to a paper towel on a plate to drain.
Add olive oil to the reserved drippings in the pan. Saute, over medium heat, onion and garlic for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add zucchini and beet tops, stirring and cooking for an additional 5-7 minutes. Be sure to season your vegetables as they cook with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until tomatoes soften.
(Pasta should be done cooking. Drain the pasta, saving 2 Cups of the cooking water. Toss pasta with a tablespoon of olive oil to prevent sticking).
Next add corn, stirring well, and continue to cook for additional 5 minutes.
Lower heat to medium low and add pasta and chopped bacon to pan, tossing to coat and heat through.
Add 1 Cup of the pasta liquid back to the pan. Then add parsley and basil, tossing again to coat.
Remove pan from heat and place in big pasta serving bowl. Add the 1/2 Cup of the parmesan-reggiano and another additional 1 Cup of pasta water. Toss one last time. Serve with additional parmesan-reggiano.
Nutritional Info (w/bacon):
Calories: 248
Fat: 8.4 g (Sat.3.3 g., mono 2.9g., poly.8g.)
Protein: 12.8 g
Carbs: 32.6 g
Fiber: depends on what vegetables/beans used, but @ 4-8g per serving
Iron: 1.7 mg (varies with protein source)
Sodium: 626 mg

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I would love to try it with beet greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're a food-science student, too?!? then HECK YAH you should do this - you can include calorie counts with accuracy!! how many hits do you need to start getting advertising? I'll post this on my FB status after you've got, I dunno, two or three more posts here. Tons of my FB friends are foodie moms - they want to eat well, feed their family well, and they talk about it ALL the time! Holy canoli, woman: this is real!!! GOOOOO, STACY!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Stacy's Foodtopia Search Engine