Wednesday, September 2, 2009

An Apple a day

The local orchard opened a couple of weeks ago and I am thrilled to pieces, happily anxious to get out there and pick apples to my hearts content. I anticipate the coming apple season, like the last slice of cheese pizza eyed at a Weight Watcher's meeting.

I never liked applesauce growing up. Never. My mother always had it available, but I found applesauce to be bland, poor texture and consistency. It tasted nothing like the apples I loved. Then I met my husband's family while we were dating in high school. My husband couldn't believe that I didn't like applesauce. His family ate it all the time.

"We eat a quart a meal. I could eat a quart just by myself." he said.
"Really." I replied.

What else could I say? Obviously, this man had no idea about food. But then, after being invited to a meal at his home, I found out why he loved applesauce. I don't remember too much, other than the meal was delicious and his family more than gracious, but I do remember tasting real applesauce for the first time. Oh, boy! It was sweet, but not too sweet. There was texture and complex tastes. I had to ask where they got it from.
"We make it homemade." my future husband replied.
I replied, once again, "Really." I was dumbfounded. I had no idea you could make applesauce from scratch. (Silly, I know, but I was a kid. At that time, I, also, had an epiphany: at 16 years old, I still may have had a lot to learn. Go figure!;-)

So I was invited to "Elenbaas Applesauce Weekend". We picked apples, cleaned and cut them, cooked and canned them. I've been hooked ever since. (When I made my mental list of why I should marry Dale, the applesauce was definitely in the "pro" column;-)
Honestly, you have not had applesauce until you've had homemade. It's so EASY! And there is so much variety in apples that each type of apple makes a different sauce. Everyone has their favorite brand of apple, so I would suggest using the one you like. But if you're like me, you'll have to try each variety to make an fair comparison. When I my boys were babies, I made most of their food. I used Golden Delicious when I make their applesauce. I froze it in ice cube trays, as they are the perfect,1 ounce size. Plus, Golden Delicious apples are less acidic than most apples and are the type commonly used in baby food.

My very favorite type of apple is the Honeycrisp. Yes, I am one of the crazies that line up outside of the orchard at an unGodly-early hour to be sure I'll get my apples. I make my husband take part of the day off so he can help me pick. (A bushel of apples is pretty heavy and I guess I'm a wuss;-) How did I get him to help, you ask? Well, I told him if he wasn't available to help, then I would have to enlist the boys, taking them out of school for the morning. He knew I was serious. Apples and their sauce are just that delicious and important to me. I, also, try and drag my parents with us. I love them so much, I don't want them to miss out on the treat of the year!

In addition to Honeycrisps, I really enjoy an early Gingergold. Both Honeycrisps and Gingergolds make excellent sauce, pies and eating from hand apples. Cortlands are good also, especially for flavored applesauces and pies. Below are two of my favorite apple recipes. I encourage you to try them and to try different varieties of apples with each recipe so you can find your perfect type. Yes, apples are highly nutritious and an excellent part of your diet, but taste alone is great reason to treat yourself to some homemade apple products. (I make about 40- 50 quarts a year of applesauce and we always need more come Fall.) Mangia!

Basic Canned Applesauce You can use only one type of apple or blend varieties. Just pick apples with characteristics that appeal to you.

3 lbs of apples per quart ( I don't recommend Red Delicious or Paula Reds)
No sugar -fresh apples do not need added sugar!
water

Wash apples. Remove any stem that remains and cut them into quarters. Place in aciduated water (water with a couple teaspoons of lemon juice added. This prevents oxidation- or browning.) When all your apples are cut, place in a large covered pot and add just enough water to prevent sticking as they cook. Cook until soft and then run the cooked apples through a food mill. Maintain boiling while you fill sterilized jars. Ladle hot sauce into jars, being careful not to drip and leaving 1/2 inch of headspace at the top. Lightly tap sides of jar to remove any air bubbles. Place 2-piece lids on jar and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

If freezing, allow sauce to cool before adding to the jars. Then be sure to leave 1/2 inch of headspace, as the sauce will expand when frozen. Place lids on securely, label and freeze. It should keep for about 3 months.

Flavored Sauce: after cooking apples and running them through the food mill, add your flavoring and cook for an additional 5 minutes, then either freeze or can accordingly.

2 Tablespoons of red hot cinnamon candies per quart OR

2 Tablespoons of maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per quart

Stacy's Paper Bag Apple Pie- when baking any pie, place it in a paper bag. Cut 4-5 slits in the bag and fold shut. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes longer than your recipe's required time. The crust will not only brown evenly, but oven spills are eliminated;-) This recipe's baking time accounts for the use of the paper bag.

1 deep-dish, 9" homemade or frozen pie crust

Filling:
6 Cups of apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1/2 Cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons of Minute Tapioca

Topping:
1/2 cup A.P. flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You may have to adjust racks in oven to accommodate the pie in the paper bag.
Combine the apples and filling ingredients together, stirring well to incorporate. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
Combine topping ingredients, mixing until crumbly. You can use a fork, but a pastry blender works great if you have one. After mixing, sprinkle on top of pie.
Place pie in paper bag, seal and cut. Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours. No peeking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stacy's Foodtopia Search Engine