Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Be kind to yourself in 10 Items or less

Today begins a new year for me, a kinder, gentler year. I know “New Year’s”, technically, is in January, but for me a new year starts officially when the last kid in the house goes back to school. Our routine has officially started. And for those of you, who have commented that they don’t know how I manage to do a blog, maintain my home, take care of the kids, work, etc , I have a confession. I totally dropped the ball and I really can’t do it all.

Here is my offense: I completely forgot to get the boy’s their sport’s physicals for school. I know, I know. I’ve been doing it for years and yet, this year, I forgot. So now I am scrambling to get two appointments with their doctor or find a walk-in clinic that won’t charge me an arm and a leg for a sport's physical. Does this make me a bad Mother? I think not and I’m choosing to forgive myself for these transgressions because I am not perfect nor can I do it all. More importantly, I shouldn’t be expected to be Supermom. I do as much as I can, whenever I can, as well as I can. That is as much as we can ask of ourselves. God made us in his image, but he did not make us God.

I bring this up because over the weekend, I went to lovely, lovely picnic at my neighbor’s, the Roelant’s. Len and Joy provided us with many grilled delights from steak and pork to hot dogs and bacon and cheese-stuffed burgers. I partook in Len’s Baked Salmon, which Len graciously tells me he’s willing to share the recipe, which I will pass on to you, because it was so simple and very yummy. Everyone that attended brought a dish to pass. There were lots of beautiful and delicious homemade dishes. I marveled at all the healthy choices I had. It gave me hope that maybe people out there, my neighbors and friends, really do care about what they eat and how they feed their families. Between the products at the groceries stores and the commercials on TV, I am despondent about the current state of nutrition in the average household in America. But, I digress, back to the picnic. I brought my bruschetta with some homemade garlic toast. Of course, my dear friends all made the appropriate fuss and gushed over my dish, making me feel like a rock star. One of my friends, Karen, commented that she makes something similar, only it’s more like salsa. She was telling me how she chops the tomato and cilantro, while her 12 year old son, Andy, sat down next to her, scarfing a plate of my bruschetta.

“Did you make the bread for this, Mrs. Elenbaas?” Andy asked while shoveling.

“Why, yes, I did, Andy.” I replied, so proud that someone noticed.

“How come you never make anything homemade?” Andy comments to his Mom.

To which she replies, “I do. I make a lot of stuff. I make the salsa homemade…”

“Yeah, but,” Andy interrupts. “…you don’t grow your own stuff or make homemade bread,”

Now, I really like Andy. He’s a fun kid, who genuinely appreciates my cooking, but I immediately interrupted him and told him that just because his Mom doesn’t grow her own vegetables or make homemade bread, doesn’t mean she doesn’t make homemade food. I told him I do it, because I love it, because it’s my way of expressing myself and my love for my family and friends. I do it because I love the whole process from seed to table. It gives me peace. I told him his Mom is a busy woman and he should be grateful for whatever she has time to put on the table. It may be a while before Andy speaks to me again;-)

It got me thinking: why do people, especially our children, think it has to be all or nothing? Karen is an amazingly brilliant, kind woman, who is a great Mom. She works full-time, does all the things a Mom has to do and has two kids and a dog. Yet, she finds time to make salsa. I was thrilled! I’m still thrilled. If crazy busy people like Karen can find time to cook, then there is hope for the rest of us, right?

This is why I am confessing my transgressions to you, my dear readers. It’s cathartic, really. I’m openly admitting my shortfalls. You can make nutritious meals that are not completely homemade and still express love to your family. And with that openness I share my “somewhat homemade” recipes to you. Eat well and be kind to yourselves. Mangia!

Nacho Casserole -Alex and Dale had no idea there was no meat in this dish. They really enjoy it, even the beans;-)
1 C dry TVP (textured vegetable protein)
1 can (14.5 oz) Mexican-style tomatoes
1 C frozen corn
1 can ( 15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
½ C prepared salsa
¾ C beef broth
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
2 C crumbled, baked tortilla chips (regular chips will work, also)
1 C Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine dry TSP, tomatoes, corn, black beans, salsa, beef broth, chili powder and oregano in a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer until TSP is rehydrated and corn is tender, about 5 minutes. Put half the TSP mixture in a 2 qt. Casserole. Top with half the tortilla chips and half the cheese. Repeat layers of TSP and chips, but do not add cheese…yet. Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Place casserole back in oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Yields: 6 servings. Serving size = 1 Cup.

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Bake (One-dish)

• 1 (10.75 ounce) can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or Campbell's® Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup OR Cream of Chicken
• 3 T cooking sherry or white wine
• 1 cup water
• 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned long-grain and wild rice mix
• 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli and carrots
• ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
• 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
• Paprika

1. Mix soup, water, rice, seasoning mix, vegetables and half the cheese in 3-quart shallow baking dish.
2.Top with chicken. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover.
3.Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour or until done.
4.Top with remaining cheese.

Chiles Rellenos Casserole – Anthony LOVES this!

3 cans (4 ounces) chopped, green chiles
3 cups reduced fat, cheddar cheese
4 green onions -- sliced
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
6 eggs ( you can substitute ¾ C of egg beaters for 3 of the eggs)
4 cups low-fat milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 can green chili salsa or red, whichever you prefer.

Spread chilies in a single layer in a greased, 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese, green onions, and 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese over chilies. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, flour, and salt together until smooth. Pour over chilies and cheese. Bake in a 325 degrees oven for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in custard comes out clean. Meanwhile, mix salsa with the remaining 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle over casserole and return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Stacy’s Cheese Blintz Soufflé - I make this all the time for brunch or a light, summer meal.

12 store-bought, frozen cheese blintzes, thawed
½ stick butter or margarine (low fat works also)
4 eggs (or you can use egg substitute, but the texture is not as pleasing, in my opinion, but it does work.)
¼ C sugar
½ t vanilla extract
½ t orange extract
1 ½ C sour cream (you can use fat-free)

1. Melt butter in 9 x 13 glass baking dish
2. Layer blintzes in dish
3. Mix remaining ingredients really well.
4. Pour over blintzes. Bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes, uncovered. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. How easy is that??? Enjoy! Makes 12 whole servings (or 24 half servings).

Linguini with Clam Sauce This is my go-to dish when I’m in a pinch, as it’s a household favorite. I always marvel when I go to Italian restaurants and see how expensive it is on the menu. Talk about way over priced. When I was pregnant with Anthony, I couldn’t get enough of it. This was my craving. Thank God it’s so easy.

4 cloves of garlic, pressed
1/2t crushed red pepper (seasoning not fresh)
½ C extra-virgin, olive oil
1 T All-Purpose Flour
2 cans of chopped or minced, canned clams
1 bottle of clam juice
½ C Italian, flat-leaf parsley, chopped
½ t salt
¼ t black pepper
1 lbs of linguini or thin spaghetti

Sauté garlic and crushed red pepper in EVOO over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Blend in flour. Stir well until “rawness” is cooked out. @ 2 minutes. Add clam juice and liquid from canned clams. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add clams and parsley. Stir well and continue cooking for additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with al dente pasta and serve immediately. Enjoy!!!! Serves 4
This recipe is flexible. You can add more flour for a thicker sauce. You can leave out the clam juice and use 4 cans of clams, just separate the juice from the clams. Add as much parsley as you like. You can leave out the crushed red pepper. You can drizzle with fresh lemon juice or top with parmesan cheese right before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stacy! Sweet posting. I respect your honesty, and your ability to laugh and forgive yourself. NONE of us is perfect, and yet, all of us are perfect. We are perfectly who we are. We all try to do our best, and that is what matters. On a different note...any suggestions on turning left over clam bake ingredients into a chowder. I have my ideas, but I would also be interested in your thoughts. Thanks! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Stacy's Foodtopia Search Engine